Hans Wilsdorf and his brother-in-law Alfred Davis are the co-founders of the lavish brand of watches, Rolex. This privately owned company was founded in 1905 and is undoubtedly the biggest manufacturer of watches in the world at the moment, manufacturing about 2000 watches per day, which are sign of a status. According to 2003 figures, Rolex is making around $3 billion revenue. Rolex is celebrated for its delicate watches, made of superb technology.
Major quality of Rolex watches is that they are high-tech devices.
* Rolex launched the first watch with an automatic date change on dial property, in 1945.
* In 1953, Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner (first water proof series) wrist watches were introduced.
* In 1954, Rolex initiated a watch, GMT Master, which displayed two times zones simultaneously.
* It is the first watch manufacturing brand to receive Chronometer Certificate.
Mechanization: In 1931, Rolex introduced first automated watch, which took the place of the manual manufactured watches and ensured precise time display. These watches were based on the movement of wearers, as the wearers moved the mainspring kept running.
Waterproof: Hans Wilsdorf tested a new watch by attaching it to a Trieste Bathyscaphe Submarine, intended to dive in the Mariana Trench. The results were great as the watch kept displaying the right time. Rolex received a telegram saying, “Am happy to confirm that even at 11,000 meters your watch is as precise as on the surface. Best regards, Jacques Piccard”.
Quartz: The Beta 21 technology, used in Rolex Quartz Dated 5100, was developed mutually by Rolex and 16 other Swiss watch manufacturers. It took Rolex five more years to work on this technology and develop the “clean slate” technology, currently deployed in its Oyster Quartz Collection.
Let’s have a brief glimpse of the mechanism used in one of its best kinds of water proof watches-Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller Deepsea, known to be accurate even below 3900 meters of water.
* It can bear tremendous water pressure because of high performing nitrogen-alloyed ring.
* Its sapphire layer is thick than any other oyster types.
* Its case back is made of a special metal, which stands firm against severe pressures and holds a feature that if bends slightly under extreme pressures, it can return to its original form afterwards. This metal is recognized as titanium-alloy.
* A helium valve stops the harmful gases from getting into watch; thus, ensuring its safety.
Look out for copies
There are so many copies of Rolex in the market, which look exactly like the real Rolex. Following are some points to remember, while looking for the original Rolex:
* If spellings are changed like “Rollex”, it is a fake one.
* Always check for a transparent hologram of Rolex, which mirrors prismatic colors from different angles. If that hologram is missing, it surely is a copy.
* Original Rolex is strong, heavy and powerful, but the fake Rolex would be having cheap material and rough finishing.